Your L.I.F.E. deserves Love, Inspiration, Fortitude, and an Emergency




Saturday, September 18, 2010

Steps for Making a Good First Impression

There is no denying the importance of making a good first impression. Regardless of the relationship – personal or professional – getting off on the right foot cannot be overemphasized. Knowing this is one thing, being able to do it is quite another. Even when I try my best, it seems as though various wardrobe malfunctions, something in my hair or the ever present toothpaste stain are always against me.

Wouldn’t it be great if we actually got to know someone before we judged them – but like it or not, the world doesn’t always work that way. Making sure that we put our best foot forward with our hair combed, zippers up, and our teeth brushed can only help. But to me, the real keys to making good first impressions lie a little deeper.

1. Get to Know the Real You

First and foremost, being able to make a good impression starts by knowing who you are. Who you really are, not who you think you have to be for the right job, the right school or the right person. I am sure that this seemingly simple, common sense idea is not exactly rocket science to most, but for most people, figuring this out takes time. For a large part of most people’s lives, they spend far too much time and energy trying to say or do the perfect thing in an attempt to impress the “right” crowd. Have you ever stopped to ask the question, is this really who I am? Or even, is this really what I want? The shift happened for me when I was 11 years of age, and thankfully I had great parents who taught me who I was, or maybe it was just not having enough energy to worry about what people thought all the time. Regardless of what caused it, I am grateful that I have finally reached a point in my life where I can appreciate my strengths, be okay with my weaknesses and try to improve on everything in between.

2. Don’t Try to Be Something You’re Not

This only happens when you do not recognize who you are. Instead of focusing on your purpose, or that which you were born to do, people choose to spend their entire life trying to fit into a pair of shoes that do not fit. This comes from the root of an overwhelming desire to be accepted! There are giftings and talents that each of us were born and equipped with, but the tools that we’ve been handed were customized and crafted especially for you. You cannot take your surgeon’s tools to the auto shop and fix a car with them. The moment that you are comfortable with operating in your own skin, the quicker success will fall on you. It is difficult enough becoming successful without the burden of doing it with another person’s car, and your keys!

3. Be Honest With Yourself

These are outstanding points if I do say so myself, however this information would be rendered useless without the ability to be honest with yourself. I have yet to meet the person who has a challenge with admitting all of the wonderful attributes, skills, and talents about themselves. It is our weak areas that we have disstain for. It is the vulnerable position of displaying to others are obvious and not so obvious caviots of inferiority. Honesty allows us to accurately assess our limitations to work on improvement, tighten up are strengths, and provide and atmosphere of contentment for the areas of our lives that you may have to accept.

4. Relax and Be Yourself

The best way to handle the stress and worry of “what will people think” is to do what you do best – and that’s being you. Many of you work incredibly hard trying to be what you think other people want you to be, what people would think was cool or good or perfect. Whenever I find myself in those situations, I focus on relaxing and being myself. Personally, I would rather be judged as the real me than someone else I was trying to be. I can’t cut grass, I do not tolerate lazy people. I would rather take a bullet than spend time with certain family members, and I am okay with that. At least now I know that regardless of what happens, as long as I am true to myself, things will work out for the best.

Worrying about making good first impressions is fairly universal. As I have started getting a little more comfortable with me, I have found it much easier to avoid situations where I know I am destined for failure. More and more, I spend most of my time just trying to be open and honest, so I can find situations where the real me fits in. Trying to be true to myself – knowing who I really am and what I really want – has helped me make much more positive first impressions.

I pray that this article empowers you to "Get A L.I.F.E."

No comments:

Post a Comment